Sunday, February 5, 2006

Desi Futures Gone Up in Smoke?

This post originally appeared on the now defunct blog, Team Sakib.

It seems like whenever I someone asks me if I smoke hookah, my response is an instant conversation killer. So I don't smoke hookah, I've never tried it and I really feel no impulse to do so. Why is that so alienating to most 19-22 year old Desi kids?

Look, I lived in a virtual smoker's den. I spent a full year chillin in clouds of second hand, riding the sheesha hangouts as a "hangout killing hanger-on". I've seen enough bowls be packed to replicate it so its not harsh (I think so at least), and I know that 1 and 1/2 coals is the ideal placement for most large hookahs. I've seen the effects of ice chambers and I know the tongue motion to produce rings (but not hearts).

But the whole culture is still not appealing. It's too much of a social crutch. It's too easy to fall into the trap, where time flies by and your conscious is lost. It's like thefacebook.com, just with tobacco.

Do I feel that those who smoke are bad people? Not in the least. Smoking hookah is the least thing someone can do and its debatable as to whether its haraam/mukhrooh/etc. Those who smoke surely don't think they're engaging in haraam, and thus you really can't blame them for much.

But then why does my personal choice not to smoke lead to the inevitable "oh"? Is it guilt in people? Do people think I'm an uptight prude? Or is it that I might kill a potential hangout by not being down w/ an outting to the hookah bar? "Better not call Sakib, then we can't go to Casbah". Hmmm... Mad curious on this one.

People don't like leaving comments on the blog, but if you're feeling courageous, chime in on this question:

Do you think my choice not to smoke is adversely affecting my social life?

3 comments:

  1. I comment pretty often,
    LOL dude you raised a pretty good question, i too am not down with the sheesha-ness of our fellow muslims, and I too am starting to wonder if ppl don't call me either because i wouldn't be down for the sheesha-ness hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. it does harm your social life. start smoking now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. humm I think its the new trend, like arab coffee, poetry and the renaissance of all that is oriental. Dont do it, its not cool, the prophet never did it, right?

    ReplyDelete